We are really excited to host the Empowering Futures Global Entrepreneurs Programme in Birmingham, UK, from 16 – 30 August 2020, one of the most welcoming and multicultural cities in the world.
Birmingham is the second city in UK located in the heart of the country. Really accessible transport options makes it really easy to travel around the country and visit other cities in your downtime to make new friends and memories whilst working on your business idea.
From the inclusive and diverse community, to its entrepreneurial landscape and talent, Birmingham has all the right ingredients for your start-up success. Moreover, Birmingham’s prime location with a vibrant, diverse set of people makes it the place to be if you are looking to learn, play and connect with like-minded entrepreneurs.
Birmingham has a reputation as ‘the workshop of the world’, leading the development of important technologies including street lighting, steam engines and motor vehicles over the last few hundred years. In the 21st century, this development has changed gears, with the city’s history as an industrial powerhouse being reimagined to now focus on digital technologies especially thanks to the strong technology ecosystem growing in the area over the last few decades.
Recently, Birmingham has been named the most entrepreneurial UK city outside London in a new report. From the Mayor of the West Midlands’ ‘Local Industrial Strategy’, to his commitment to creating 29,000 digital and creative jobs in the area by 2030 to boost the local economy by £8 billion; a wealth of initiatives are being put in place to ensure Birmingham’s tech scene continues to thrive; it’s no wonder the city is fast becoming one of the UK’s leading digital hubs.
Whilst taking part in the Global Entrepreneurs Programme we recommend immersing yourself within the Birmingham Entrepreneurial Ecosystem:
Silicon Canal (Tech Ecosystem) – https://siliconcanal.co.uk/about/
Tech Wednesday (monthly tech meet-up) – https://www.meetup.com/tech-wednesday/
Birmingham Enterprise Community (supporting entrepreneurs in the Midlands) – http://www.birminghamenterprisecommunity.co.uk/
Innovation Birmingham (UK’s Leading Digital Campus) – https://www.innovationbham.com/
Birmingham has all the advantages of a big city: a rich culture, great transport options, a huge number of restaurants and a great entrepreneurial ecosystem. When you join the Global Entrepreneurs Summer Programme, you will receive a welcome pack including the attendee booklet which will give you all the information needed from accommodation, restaurants, activities and how to make the most of you two-week stay in Birmingham!
Additionally, Birmingham is the house of Cadbury World, National SEA Life Centre, Motorcycle Museum, the Jewellery Museum, Bullring Shopping Centre, a huge variety of restaurants, sport facilities and Birmingham will host the Commonwealth Games 2022.
Other fun facts about Birmingham:
1) Birmingham has more trees than Paris, more miles of canals than Venice and more parks than any other European City.
2) Birmingham City Council is the biggest local authority in Europe, and employs twice as many people as the European commission.
3) Birmingham is the UK’s largest manufacturing and engineering centre and accounts for 25% of the country’s exports. F.W Lanchester built the first four-wheeled petrol driven car in Birmingham, hence the nickname Brum.
4) The Jewellery Quarter is the largest concentration of dedicated jewellers in Europe. Half of all jewellery made in the UK comes from Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter, with a third of jewellery manufactured in the UK made within one mile of the city centre.
5) The City’s annual St. Patrick’s day celebration is the third biggest outside Dublin and New York and the largest Vaisakhi celebration outside Asia.
We are looking forward to welcoming you in Birmingham this summer!
See you this summer,
Empowering Futures Team!